People of the Book Literacy Project is helping to bring about change in the Oakland community - and at the same time, it also provides a great sense of satisfaction to its volunteers.
In both 2004 and 2005, California State Assemblywoman, Wilma Chan, honored People of the Book for "outstanding commitment and community service to the students of the Oakland Unified School District."
In the spring of 2008, People of the Book Coordinator, Judy Zollman, received the Jefferson Award for Public Service for her work organizing our literacy project. And in the spring of 2010 and 2013, People of the Book was selected for OUSD's "Volunteer Organization of the Year" award.
We are honored to have recognition throughout the Oakland community for the presence of Temple Sinai in our partner schools.
Congregant Robert Feldman talking to students about being a cardiologist at Greenleaf School, one of People of the Book Literacy Project’s partner schools. Another presenter was Phil Witte, retired attorney and cartoonist, who is currently helps the Literacy Project.
Please help us help students in the Oakland public schools that receive the least support!
A quote from a recent donor: “We are delighted to be able to donate… to the project this year. We love the work you do in the Oakland public schools, the way it changes the lives of both the children and the volunteers and the long-term investment in building a diverse and vibrant community. Given the [current national budget priorities], the work is doubly important."
Here's what others are saying:
- "My students cherish and appreciate the special relationships they develop with their tutors. They are always . . .excited about their sessions. It builds their confidence as well as helping with their reading and language skills."
- "You need a human being who cares and has some knowledge about how to work with and relate to the child. Children learn when they feel safe."
- "The presence of Temple Sinai is the single most important thing about our school."
- "Thank you because you come and help kids that need help just like me. You guys are the best."
- "I love reading with my tutor; you can't give her a different student!"
- "Can I keep this book for my very own?" (about a new book at one of our book giveaways)