Temple Sinai's People of the Book Literacy Project was founded in the Spring of 1998 with the mission of helping Oakland's students learn to love reading and books. We partner with the following elementary schools: Think College Now, International Community School, Sankofa Academy, Greenleaf School and Bella Vista School.
We work toward our mission in many ways:
- Tutors meet with students each week at Greenleaf and Sankofa Schools.
- We give 3000 paperbacks directly to students each year at our school-wide giveaway events, and donate hundreds of books and magazines to school libraries and classrooms.
- Library volunteers process and shelve donated books (we have created 5 school libraries).
- Volunteers visit classes to read stories.
- With generous cash donations from congregants and friends, we arrange author visits to schools.
- We purchase books and reading incentives like bookmarks.
- In cooperation with other groups, we provide much needed social services -- conducting a holiday Adopt-a-Family project, as well as food drives for the spring and winter breaks - participating in Career Day and organizing Warriors' "Get Fit Days" and Reading Recognition Days at basketball games.