The Temple Sinai Shabbat Minyan is a lay-led service that provides a place for:
* Deep and spiritually meaningful worship experience, using a liturgy that builds on the traditional Hebrew prayers, yet includes modern perspectives and texts
* Spiritual connections through the inspiration of musical leaders and the ru’ach of group singing and chanting
* Deepening understanding of the meaning and history of the liturgy and of Torah
* Enhancing skills in chanting, Torah commentary, and other participatory aspects of the service
* Building a strong sense of community and celebrating the joy of Shabbat through ritual and the sharing of kiddush lunch
Shabbat Minyan services are held on the second Shabbat morning of each month, in the Albers Chapel, and are organized and conducted by the Minyan Committee, a part of the Temple Ritual Committee.
The Minyan Committee welcomes volunteers who wish to participate, such as by reading Torah or Haftarah, by giving a D'var Torah or leading a discussion based on the Torah portion, or by reading or chanting a portion of the liturgy, in Hebrew or English. If you are interested, please contact one of the organizers:
* Dan Fendel: (510) 653-8520 or email him by clicking here.
* Steve Goldstein: (510) 523-3637 or email him by clicking here.
* Bob Knoll: (510) 614-0809 or email him by clicking here.
* Jan Taksa: (510) 526-7559 or email her by clicking here.
* Lora Thielbar: (510) 547-3625 or email her by clicking here.
* Bob Unger: (510) 547-3625 or email him by clicking here.
Please join us for our innovative celebration of the joy and mystique of Shabbat.
Please click on the links below to read Torah commentaries from these services:
Terry Becker - Untitled (B'haalot'cha, June 10, 2017)
Lynn Simon - Let Your Ner Tamid Shine (Tetzaveh, March 11, 2017)
Neil Jacobson - No Going Back (Beshalach, February 11, 2017)
Bob Knoll - Footnotes (Vay'chi, January 14, 2017)
Zoe Francesca - The Common Pasture, the Dust, and the Stars (Lech L'cha, November 12, 2016)
Bob Knoll - Words Hurt, Words Heal (D'varim, August 13, 2016)
Helen Smiler - If It's Worth Doing, It's Worth Doing Right (P'kudei, March 12, 2016)
Neil Jacobson - Dwelling Among Them (T'rumah, February 13, 2016)
Neil Jacobson - Telling Our Own Story (Vayigash, December 16, 2015)
Joanne Rockling - The Danger of Labels (Toldot, November 14, 2015)
Joanne Rocklin - Do and Understand (Mishpatim, January 27, 2015)
Bob Knoll - Excuse Me...Company is Coming (Vayeira, November 8, 2014)
Robert Schoen - A Bloody Chapter (Acharei Mot, April 12, 2014)
Bob Knoll - Transitional Fire (B'Shalach, January, 11, 2014)
Michael Semler - Who is Being Tested? (Lech L'cha, October 12, 2013)
Robert Schoen - Korach, the Talmud, and the Average Jew on the Street (Korach, June 8, 2013)
Bob Knoll - To Tell The Truth (Va'eira, January 12, 2013)
Denise Jacobson - Outside the Box (Vayeishev, December 2012)
Trish Elliott - Drash for Minyan (Ekev, August 2012)
Alysa Chadow - This Land Is Their Land (Pinchas, July 2012)
Robert Schoen - Kvetch, Kvetch, Kvetch - When Manna is Not Enough (B'ha'alotecha, June 9, 2012)
Jim Mavrikios - Counting Down to One (Emor, May 2012)
Bart Schenone – Balak & Balaam (Balak, July 9, 2011)
Joanne Rocklin – Drash for Minyan (Vayikra, March 12, 2011)
Mark Travis – Jacob's Ladder (Vayetze, November 13, 2010)
Dan Fendel – The (Rainbow) Arc of History (Noah, October 10, 2010)
Robert Schoen – The Cities of Refuge (Shoftim, August 14, 2010)
Bob Knoll – A Second Chance (B'har, May 8, 2010)
Zona Sage – About Moses (Sh'mot, January 9, 2010)
Lynn Simon – Ensuring the Tradition (Nitzavim, September 12, 2009)
Robert Schoen – Women's Rights in the Torah (Pinchas, July 11, 2009)
Joanne Rocklin – Moving in Torah and Life (Baha'alotecha, June 13, 2009)
Dan Fendel – The Sfat Emet on Emor (Emor, May 9, 2009)
Valerie Sopher – Iyyunei T'filah for Blessings (Vayechi, January 10, 2009)
Fred Isaac – How Do We Pray? (Baha'alotecha, June 14, 2008)
Aviva Black – Metzorah and its Meaning for Us Today (Metzorah, April 12, 2008)
Sherri Richards – In Celebration of The Torah, A Women's Commentary (P'kudei, March 8, 2008)
Laurie Earp – Drash for Minyan (T'rumah, February 9, 2008)
Sara Klein – Labeling Individuals, Especially Within Families (Toldot, November 10, 2007)
Sherri Richards – The Story of Dinah (Vayishlach, December 9, 2006)
Dan Fendel – Talmud and the Role of Halachah and Aggadah in the Torah (Vayeira, November 11, 2006)